Wednesday, 30 September 2015

All About Writing Wednesday - Writing Novellas

I know I missed last week. Sorry about that. The last All About Writing Wednesday post had to do with reviewing. If you haven't read it and are trying to think of ways to get a little writing practice in before really beginning that novel then maybe it will help.

This week I thought I'd write about how I transitioned to writing novellas instead of reviews.

I'm not going to talk about my writing process to much. Every writer does things differently to maximize their own creativity. And creativity is a funny little tool that works for everyone in different ways.

First, I should say that I use the term novellas instead of novels because that's where my writing naturally fits in. That's also what I prefer to read.

So, what's the difference between a novella and a novel? Novellas run from 15,000 to 40,000 words, approximately. That's about 50 to 150 pages. Novels are 50,000+ words.

I'm not sure why this length works for me but it does. I do whatever works.

Anyway, there were several years where I didn't write anything creative beyond a term paper. I found out it's very hard to get a master's degree and write creatively. However, I will say that all the many term papers were very good practice for me as a writer.

Then last summer depression hit. Yeah, I suffer from it. But you know, I sometimes think I had all this creativity just pent-up as if I put it in prison. I picked up some half-finished thing about a man who goes back to his hometown because his friend gets killed and he needs some sort of stability for his son. I finished that story, after years of letting that poor man just sit on my computer's desktop.

That really was the start of this crazy authoring journey. I finally got serious about writing because I needed a way to get my depression under control. Weird how a bad place in my life turned in to something positive.

No comments:

Post a Comment